MIT’s Scheller Teacher Education Program (STEP) is seeking a talented web application developer with experience working for educational audiences or developing games.
The STEP lab does research and development of new technologies for education, primarily educational games and simulations. Currently, the lab is developing the next generation of mobile educational games, called Ubiquitous Games. These games can be played on any computer with an AJAX compliant web browser, but are designed to be played on mobile devices with webkit browsers (i.e. Android, iPhone, etc). Currently, there is one prototype game built on the UbiqGames platform, and development is slated to begin shortly on four more games.
STEP is seeking a web application developer capable of working within the very general structure defined by the prototype game to develop the four new games. The games will likely be built on an existing Ruby on Rails framework. The programmer will work on a close-knit team with game designers and a project manager. This person will have the opportunity to, and should be excited to make substantial contribution to the overall design of the project/games. If you want only to take perfectly detailed specs and translate them to code, this job is not the right fit.
Required Experience/Characteristics Include:
- coding database driven web applications
- data modeling and implementation, preferably in MySQL
- Object Oriented programming of some flavor
- user interface design
- excitement about educating students, particularly in science
- experience with either educational product development or game development
- strong record on collaborative projects
Additional Desired Experience/Characteristics Include:
- Ruby on Rails development
- development of the system architecture for web applications
- good sense of humor
- enthusiasm for innovative projects at the intersection of games, learning, and technology
The position is full time for 1.5 years. Salary $50-60K/year depending on experience.
Interested candidates should submit letter and resume to email@example.com with “UbiqBio Programmer” in the subject line.