With admissions paused for the coming year, the next application deadline is planned for January 1, 2022. Notification of acceptance comes by April 1.
- Application: gradapply.mit.edu/cms. All materials in PDF format, with a maximum size of 10MB.
- Application fee: $75
- GRE general test. Applicants who take the test after December 15 cannot be considered for admission. The MIT code is 3514, and the CMS departmental code is “Radio, TV, and Film.” If you select another departmental code, don’t worry; as long as the scores are sent to MIT – any department – we can access them. We understand that many tests were cancelled due to the pandemic. However, the general test is available to be taken online in most places, so the GRE is still required. If you live in a country where GRE at Home testing is not currently available, please contact us.
- IELTS (international students only). Applicants who are tested after December 15 cannot be considered for admission. Minimum score: 7. To register for a test, visit ielts.org. CMS does not accept TOEFL scores. If the applicant holds a degree from an English-speaking institution, verifiable by transcript, we can waive the IELTS requirement.
Additional Required Materials
- Subjects Taken: Please list all courses you feel are relevant to future study in Comparative Media Studies, even if they appear on your transcript(s). You do not need to fill in the textbook column.
- Statement of Objectives: We recommend a length of 750-1000 words for the Statement of Objectives.
- Academic Transcripts: Academic transcripts are required for all colleges or universities attended. Transcripts should be uploaded in the online application. If you are accepted, you will be required to send an official hard copy of your transcripts.
- Three Letters of Recommendation: At least two must be academic recommendations; online submission required.
- Writing sample: This must be an academic research paper or one chapter of a longer project. Non-academic papers, such as journalistic pieces, do not qualify as writing samples, but may be included in a portfolio. If the context is not clear, please provide a brief description. If the work represents a collaboration, please explain. Writing samples should be uploaded in the electronic application.
- Curriculum Vitae: Curriculum vitae or resumes should be uploaded in the online application.
- Portfolio: Portfolios are optional and may be uploaded in the online application. If your portfolio is available on a website, please indicate this in the Test Scores/Experience section of the application.
For International Applicants Only
Required before being admitted
See IELTS and TOEFL information above.
Required after acceptance
- Visa documentation. The CMS Graduate Administrator will work with you and the MIT International Students Office to assist with your visa documentation.
- English Evaluation Test (EET). The EET will be required during the week before classes begin in the Fall semester. Please plan accordingly. More information is available at https://mitgsl.mit.edu/english-evaluation-test-eet.
- Financial Certification Form. Admitted International Students are required to submit a Financial Certification Form showing proof of funds at a level determined by the International Students Office in order to acquire a visa (see International Students Office Financial Documents page).
Fee Waiver Requests
US citizens and US permanent residents* may request a graduate application fee waiver. You must meet one of these criteria:
- Demonstrated financial hardship in the past year.
- Participated in an MIT/ODGE sponsored diversity program in the past 5 years**.
- Participated in a special fellowship program in the past 3 years.
- Attended a diversity recruiting event in the past 3 years.
- Served as a current or former member of the US Armed Forces.
* US Permanent Residents must provide proof of this status, such as a copy of a green card.
** International applicants, attending US colleges and universities, who participated in the MIT CONVERGE or MSRP programs are also eligible to apply.